Become an NZMGA Guide
With the changes to the New Zealand Government guidelines with regards to Covid-19, the NZMGA no longer requires a Vaccine Pass for participants on courses/assessments. Participants are required to follow our pre and during course/assessment Covid-19 procedures. We will adopt guidelines as and when required by the government.
There is no easy path to becoming an NZMGA Guide. All of our current guides are professionals and have dedicated many years to becoming world-class guides, instructors, expedition leaders and mentors. We are a growing community dedicated to the profession of guiding in mountain environments, both across New Zealand and internationally.
You can view our Vision and Mission Statements here, along with our Code of Ethics and Conduct.
NZMGA GUIDES ARE:
- able to guide professionally in mountain environments where surface travel over rock, snow and ice is required, and mountaineering skills are transitory in nature
- highly skilled in common-practice mountaineering techniques
- able to manage and lead all aspects of a mountain expedition
NZMGA guides possesses a range of outstanding qualities and are able to perform a host of skills in a professional manner, including:
- assessment and preparation of clients
- selection and adjustment of equipment suitable for mountain activities in their speciality areas
- preparation of food
- organise all aspects of mountain expedition logistics in their speciality areas
- travel with skill, safety and confidence over any mountain environment in their speciality areas
- anticipate, assess and mitigate environmental and other threats
- conduct wilderness first-aid, trauma and rescue procedures
- be competent in the use of communications equipment
- experienced with aircraft ground procedures
- display a duty of care towards clients
- respond competently to the leadership, motivational, social and emotional demands of a team
- consider all environmental aspects of a mountain expedition
We welcome your interest in becoming a member and look forward to your contribution to the world of mountain guiding.